Denver’s climate is typically mild, dry and sunny; with over 300 days of sunshine per year, Denver’s climate is similar to that of South Florida but at a mile high! In order to feel your best at 5,280 feet, we recommend that you:
- Most importantly, stay hydrated! Especially on your first day in Denver, drink a lot of water (up to two to three times as much as you normally drink) and avoid alcohol, caffeine and salty food. Some people experience a mild headache at high altitudes and the best remedy is to keep yourself well hydrated.
- Bring a good pair of sunglasses and some sunscreen. The Rocky Mountain sun keeps everyone in a good mood year round, but if you’re not used to the rays you’ll need to protect your eyes and skin. If you’re bringing your children along on the trip, make sure to bring sunglasses, sun hats and sunscreen for them too.
- Moderate your physical activity. Vigorous exercise is part of the Colorado lifestyle, but make sure to give yourself time to acclimate if you plan on running, biking, hiking or skiing while you’re here. The Hyatt Regency has a full-service fitness center, you can read about it and download a map of walking and jogging routes here.
Smokers, be aware that smoking is severely restricted by law in Colorado. Indoor smoking is prohibited in all public places in Denver including most bars and restaurants, and outdoor smoking is not allowed within 15 feet of the door. Many outdoor areas such as children’s playgrounds and hospital parking lots are also smoke-free.
For a list of the Hyatt Regency’s handicapped accessibility services, click here.
Medical services near the ATA conference:
- If you have a serious medical emergency, call 911
- In downtown Denver, AfterOurs Urgent Care is open from 5PM to midnight on weekdays and from 8 AM to midnight on weekends. They are located at 1515 Wazee Street, Suite D in the HealthONE Occupational Medicine Clinic, (303) 861-7878 . You can reach this location via the free 16th St. Mall Ride shuttle.
- Guardian Urgent Care is located at 1 Broadway, Building A, Suite 100 (303-455-6345). This location is about 3 miles from the conference hotel and is open from 8AM to 8PM on weekdays and from 8AM to 6PM on weekends.
- The closest hospitals to the conference hotel are Denver Health Medical Center at 777 Bannock St (303-436-6000) and St. Anthony Central Hospital at 4231 W. 16th Avenue (303-629-3511).